Several different highlights emerged from the conversation with 9 doctors who were interviewed about their thoughts on bariatric procedures over the next 5 years:
• Most believe Gastric Bypass will still be the gold standard for procedures.
• Many say Sleeve will be the most common procedure needing revisions and will be done less frequently.
• None seemed to think that the mini-gastric bypass would gain popularity.
• The Loop Duodenal Switch is popular among conversions from Sleeve.
• Bariatric Endoscopy will increase in demand, but not produce the same significant weight loss as weight loss surgery. • Many believe bariatric revisions will increase anywhere from 20-50% of total surgeries. Source: General Surgery News, July 2017