UNJURY® is known for having a very friendly customer service team that wants to help you make the right choice when it comes to protein.
Here are some of the most common questions that customers ask about protein supplements:
Are protein supplements different than high protein meal replacements?
- Protein supplements are a concentrated source of protein. They can be used to boost protein intake before and after surgery, following a workout or as a healthy snack anytime. High protein meal replacements are similar, but they are designed to replace the complete nutrition in a healthy, balanced meal. High protein meal replacements have concentrated protein, just like a protein supplement, plus vitamins, minerals and small amounts of carbohydrates and healthy fat.
How do protein supplements work?
- Protein supplements support muscle growth, repair, and recovery, and help with weight management. High-quality protein shakes like UNJURY® Protein have a high absorption rate, so it helps people meet their body’s protein needs when they can’t get enough protein from whole food alone. Many adults over 40 aren’t getting the recommended 90 grams of protein each day to maintain muscle and metabolism as they age.
What are amino acids?
- Protein supplements provide the body with essential amino acids, which are the building blocks of protein. Think of them like Legos™. Amino acids help you build and repair every part of your body, including your immune system.
What are the best protein supplements?
- Whey protein isolate is often considered the gold standard for protein supplements. It is derived from milk during the cheese making process and has the most complete amino acid profile of any protein supplement. UNJURY® Protein is the highest-quality Whey Protein Isolate that you can buy – anywhere.
How much protein do I need daily?
- Medical research says that you need 30 grams of protein 3 times each day (over the age of 40) to maintain muscle as you age. If you are participating in a regular exercise routine, an additional 20 grams after exercise will help even more if your goal is to build lean muscle.
Will I build muscle If I take a protein supplement?
- Protein supplements can help you maintain muscle. When combined with resistance training, they can help you build muscle. It requires exercise repetition with increased intensity over time, consistency with your protein intake, plus balanced nutrition to build muscle.
Will protein supplements make me lose weight?
- Protein supplements can help with weight loss, but your entire diet and lifestyle will still need to be modified for weight loss to occur. Protein supplements help with weight loss by increasing satiety, preserving lean muscle mass, and supporting a healthy metabolic rate, but you’ll need to track total calorie intake, avoid high sugar, unhealthy fats, and highly processed foods as part of your weight loss plan.
Can protein supplements replace regular meals?
- Protein supplements are an excellent way to boost protein at mealtimes. You can add protein supplements to milk, yogurt, oatmeal, or a fruit smoothie in place of a traditional breakfast for example. Complete meal replacements (UNJURY® Protein-Centric Meal Replacements) are designed with complete nutrition and are better suited for replacing meals multiple times each day as part of a weight loss program.
Are protein supplements safe? How long can I use them?
- Protein supplements are considered safe for short and long-term use when used as directed, but it's important to choose reputable brands and consult with a healthcare professional if you have any health concerns, especially pre-existing kidney disease. UNJURY® Protein is recommended at all of America’s Top-Rated Hospitals.
Is one brand of protein really that different from another?
- Protein supplements are not regulated by the FDA like other food products, so choosing a reputable brand is important. Remember that big box store brands are often under pressure to keep costs and prices low, which usually affects ingredient choices. UNJURY® Protein does not compromise on quality or taste, that’s why doctors and dietitians trust UNJURY® for their patients and their own families.
Are there any side effects from taking protein supplements?
- Occasionally, with lower quality brands of protein, or if you have sensitivities to sweeteners or a specific ingredient, people may experience bloating, gas or constipation. Be sure to read ingredient labels carefully to look for allergens and speak to your medical provider first before using a protein supplement if you have pre-existing kidney problems.
When is the best time to take protein supplements?
- The timing of protein supplements is based on individual preferences and goals. Some people use protein supplements to replace breakfast, at snack time or, before bed if they tend to get hungry at night. If your goal is to build muscle, it's good to use protein shortly before or after a workout.
Can I take protein supplements if I'm vegetarian or vegan?
- Yes, vegetarian and vegan protein supplements are widely available, but the quality varies. Plant-based proteins generally have a lower amino acid score than animal proteins, so you should consult with a registered dietitian if you are unsure how to build a vegetarian meal plan that provides all the amino acids in the right amounts for your body. Planted™ is a high-quality Pea Protein made from 100% non-GMO peas and has zero artificial sweeteners.
How do I choose the best protein supplement with so many out there?
- The important things to consider are taste, quality, type of protein (animal or plant-based), allergies, and flavor preferences. Choose a protein supplement that you really like, you’ll be more consistent getting your protein, and be sure it aligns with your goals and dietary needs.
Do protein supplements expire?
- Yes, protein supplements have expiration dates, but they are very shelf stable and have much longer expiration dates than other whole food protein sources like meat, eggs or dairy. Check the packaging for the expiration dates.
Can my children or teenagers use protein supplements?
- Protein supplements, usually in smaller portions, (UNJURY® Stick Packs are youth size) can be used by children and teenagers who struggle to meet their protein needs through a balanced diet. *Work with your child’s medical provider to determine individual protein needs based on age, activity level and general health.
Are protein supplements good for workout recovery?
- Yes, protein supplements can improve workout recovery by providing the necessary amino acids for muscle repair and reducing muscle damage when used after exercise.
Do women take the same protein supplements as men?
- While protein needs may vary, women can benefit from the same type of protein supplements that support weight management, health and fitness goals, and muscle recovery, just like men.
- What should I mix the protein powder with?
What flavor protein powder do people like most?
- Everyone’s tastes are different. UNJURY® offers the best variety of sweet and savory protein flavors as well as unflavored protein which can be turned into whatever flavor you like best. A good place to start is with the UNJURY® Stick Pack Sample Kit. You’ll get to try a variety of flavors and decide which works best for you.