We have all heard the advice, “don’t skip breakfast, it’s the most important meal of the day,” but is there any truth to that?
Yes, there is!
In fact, a recent review of 46 studies confirmed that:
- skipping breakfast is associated with overweight/obesity, and
- skipping breakfast regularly, increases the risk of overweight/obesity.*[i]
Other studies suggest that eating breakfast everyday can have a positive impact in several areas of your health ranging from alertness to heart disease to mood and depression.
Of course, all breakfast meals do not provide the same nutrition and health benefits. Sugary cereal, pastries and breakfast bars are usually unbalanced nutritionally, and may cause a mid-morning slump followed by more hunger.
The breakfast with health benefits always includes protein.
Many people rely on a protein shake or a smoothie, which is great for on the go, and it provides the most important nutrients that you need to start your day. A protein shake in the morning is consistent with the “30-30-30”[ii] to help you maintain muscle too.
If you want to get creative, here are even more ways to have a protein packed breakfast to start your day off right.
- Protein Oatmeal - Oatmeal | Unjury Protein
- Protein Pancakes - Protein Pancakes | Unjury Protein
- Protein Parfait – Bonjoy Recipe
- Protein Muffins - Fresh Blueberry Muffins | Unjury Protein
[ii] A growing body of research recommends 30 grams of high-quality protein three times a day, and that it is important to spread the intake across the day, including morning.