Most people are pretty good at getting protein at dinner time, but the rest of the day is hit or miss.
Protein is important for so many functions in your body. In fact, every cell in your body is made with protein. We are constantly turning over old cells and making new ones, which requires protein for building. And when you are sick, injured, recovering or losing weight, your body needs even more protein than normal.
You might be wondering, “how much protein is the right amount?”
It’s a little different for everyone. A petite ballerina doesn’t need the same amount of protein as an NFL linebacker for example, but there is a good rule of thumb to follow that is based on medical research: 30-30-30. That is 30 grams of protein, 3 times each day.
That amount of high-quality protein will give you all of the amino acid building blocks that you need, in the right proportions, for re-building.
If you are not meeting 30-30-30 yet here are a few good ways to boost your protein intake each day.
- Enhance your water or sports drink with protein. Add an UNJURY® Stick Pack like Moonbeam Mist to flavor your water and get 10 grams of high-quality protein.
- Pack a protein snack. The UNJURY® Peanut Butter Mighty Bites are ideal for throwing in your backpack. Take them on a hike, to work, or to the gym to get 10 or 20 (2 bars) grams of protein at snack time.
- Boost the protein in protein foods. Add UNJURY® Protein to other protein sources to get even more out of your meal. 2 scrambled eggs will give you 12 grams of protein, but 2 eggs with one scoop of UNJURY® Unflavored gives you 33 grams of protein. Add UNJURY® Chocolate or Vanilla in yogurt or milk to give you 30 grams of protein per serving.
- Keep protein snacks ready in the freezer. UNJURY® Chocolate protein balls and UNJURY® Soda flavored popsicles (try Cherry Cola pops) keep well in the freezer. Reach for one of these high-protein snacks to boost your protein intake each day.
- Have a cup of soup for lunch. You can get 21 grams of high-quality protein when you have a cup of UNJURY® Savory Protein Soup with your salad or sandwich at lunch time, and you’ll feel full and satisfied all afternoon